I want Adelaide to reach its potential as one of the world’s leading sustainable cities.
During my previous term on Council (2014-2015) I successfully advocated for $1 million dollars for a Greener Streets Program and as a result more trees have been planted in Adelaide over the last 4 years than ever before. But more needs to be done.
You can read more about the Greener Streets program here:
- Bension Sibert, Indaily, ‘Council to Pilot Green Roofs and Walls,’
- Anthony Templeton, The Advertiser ‘$1 Million Dollar Plan to Encourage More Tree Planting.’
- The Fifth Estate, ‘Why Greening Is Good for Public Health.’
- Protecting our Park Lands, planting more trees and boost green roofs and walls
- Extending the seperated bike path throughout the CBD and finally completing the city bike network (including East and West)
- Promoting active transport and measures that protect the safety of pedestrians and cyclists
- Encouraging more electric car charging stations
- Increasing access to solar energy by encouraging solar on apartment roof tops so that both owner-occupiers and renters are able to switch to renewables
- Boosting grants to encourage retrofitting of residential properties to promote energy efficiency and reduce emissions
- Tightening standards for new developments ensuring appropriate insulation and energy efficiency
- Making Adelaide a leader in climate change adaptation – encouraging business investment and boosting jobs
- Encouraging city businesses to phase out single use plastics
- Improving waste mangement throughout the city – with more recycling bins in public spaces and green bins for city businesses and residents
- Ensuring Council divests of any remaining (direct or indirect) fossil fuel investments
- Resisting the privitalisation of public space (including our Park Lands)
- Making Adelaide the world’s first Carbon Neutral City!